The Irish seafood sector is expected to increase in both value and employment levels between now and 2020. This Diploma programme has been developed by University College Cork in conjunction with Bord Iascaigh Mhara and aims to improve the skills level of those at work in the seafood industry and is in line with the objectives of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Food Harvest 2020 strategy report for Irish agri-food and fisheries.
Bord Iascaigh Mhara is currently implementing a business development innovation programme for the Irish seafood industry which supports market development, seafood innovation and processing. It has been recognised that the upskilling of personnel at all levels working in the industry is essential to the development of the seafood industry in Ireland.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
On successful completion of the programme, students should be able to:
• Understand the national and global food sector with a focus on seafood.
• Apply scientific knowledge in the areas of seafood science and technology which will be applicable to their own business.
• Understand the factors essential to the production of safe food and how to apply these to their own business.
• Describe and explain the key issues involved in new food product innovation.
• Explain and illustrate the principles of marketing and sales for value added seafood and apply this to their own business.
• Identify and consider the principles of business planning including project management skills and finance.
• Apply the skills acquired on the course in the development of a new seafood product.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The course is targeted at personnel in the seafood and related sectors in both technical and business roles and staff involved in new product development. This course will combine the theory with the skills needed to develop successful commercial products.
It will also be of interest to those who plan to become involved in the seafood sector.
The course is run on a part-time basis over two academic years. Candidates who successfully complete first year may opt not to transfer to second year and exit the programme with a Certificate in Seafood Innovation.
The course will run over 9 Friday afternoon/Saturday sessions from October to May each year. Classes will be held on the Friday from 15.00-21.00 and on the Saturday from 9.00-16.00. The sessions will take place at a number of venues around the country.
Course fee €2,980 per academic year.
For further information contact: