The Department of Children and Youth Affairs (“DCYA”) has a National Lottery Discretionary fund in place which provides once-off grants to community groups and voluntary organisations with an involvement in the provision of Children’s and Youth services
The National Lottery Act 1986
Amount of fund
The Department of Children and Youth Affairs entire 2014 allocation is €910,000
671 applications were received in 2013 totalling requests for funding in excess of €7.1m. Of these 128 were approved with an average grant amount of €3,900 per project.
In 2014 the Scheme is mainly targeting small scale projects and therefore the level of grant awarded will typically be for an amount less than €20,000. In all cases applicants should ensure that proposals demonstrate how a meaningful and complete project can be progressed to completion with a grant of this scale.
Who can apply
The scope of the scheme is for the provision of services to children and young people. Grants are generally awarded for once-off projects across a wide variety of areas such as the provision of equipment for youth clubs, youth cafes, scouts, summer camps, day trips for youth clubs/summer camps, play equipment for playschools/crèches and other once- off programs. In addition for 2014 the Department will also consider projects that focus on Children’s and Youth Health issues.
During 2014, priority will be given to projects and activities that involve:
• Culture, play and recreation.
• Children and young people led initiatives.
• Healthy Lifestyles for Children and Young people including innovative new projects aimed at emerging issues for children such as smoking, obesity, alcohol consumption, cyber bullying etc.
• To provide marginalised groups with access to extra-curricular activity based projects.
The DCYA National Lottery Scheme has a limited funding allocation and as such is being targeted in 2014 at projects which would not ordinarily be eligible under the other programmes operated by DCYA / DCYA agencies or other Government Departments. In such instances applicants are directed to the following programmes:
– DCYA Childcare Programmes for Capital Grant Funding
– DCYA Youth Organisations and Services Capital and Current Grant Funding
– Department of Health National Lottery Funding
– Department of Transport Tourism and Sport National Lottery Sports Capital Funding
The above list is not exhaustive and potential applicants should satisfy themselves that an alternative appropriate source of funding is not available prior to submitting their completed funding request.
N.B. Funding is not available for ongoing running / staffing costs.
Application for National Lottery funding must be made using a standard application form (available below). An information leaflet and frequently asked questions (FAQ) to accompany the form is also available.
Alternatively, you can contact:
Alternatively, you can contact:
Department of Children and Youth Affairs,
43-49 Mespil Road,
Tel: (01) 6473112 or 6473115
The closing date for the receipt of completed applications to the Department of Children and Youth Affairs clearly marked “National Lottery Grants” are to arrive no later than 12:30pm on Friday, 6th June, 2014.
Applications will only be accepted from groups or organisations operating within the State.
The Department strongly recommends that applicants read the information leaflet, as well as consulting with Circulars 43/2006 & 44/2006 and revised procedures for Tax Clearance, all listed below:
- Information Leaflet
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Circular 43/2006: Tax Clearance Procedures Public Sector Contracts
- Circular 44/2006: Tax Clearance Procedures Grants, Subsidies and Similar Type Payments
- Revised procedures for Tax Clearance in respect of Public Service Contracts, Grants, Subsides and similar payments
- Information Note – Tax Clearance For Bodies With Charitable Status