Avondhu Blackwater Partnership operate the RSS (Rural Social Scheme) which is a farmer friendly scheme in the North Cork area. The RSS provides community-based work on a part-time basis for farmers. It is based on a 19.5 hour flexible working week. This means that farmers can work around their farming lives and can take time off when their farming schedule demands, eg calving, lambing etc and still have an income from RSS.
Spouses, siblings and children of eligible farmers may participate. Farmers will not loose any social welfare benefits such as medical cards, fuel allowances etc. To be deemed eligible to participate on the Rural Social Scheme, you must provide proof that you are actively farming by providing a copy of your EU Single Payment scheme which includes a valid herd number and be in receipt of one of the following payments: Farm Assist, Jobseekers Allowance, Jobseekers Benefit, if previously on a FAS Community Employment Scheme or the Rural Social Scheme in the previous 12 months, Disability Allowance, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow(ers)/Surviving Civil Partner’s Pension (contributory and non contributory).
Participating in this programme is not only of benefit to the participants involved, but also impacts positively on the communities where our participants are located.
The types of projects that are currently being carried out under the RSS include:
- Maintaining and enhancing way-marked ways, agreed walks and bog roads;
- Energy conservation work for the elderly and the less well off,
- Village and countryside enhancement projects;
- Social care and care of the elderly, community care for both pre-school and after-school groups;
- Environmental maintenance work, maintenance and care-taking of community and sporting facilities;
- Projects relating to not for profit cultural and heritage centres;
- Community Administration/Clerical duties or
- Any other appropriate community project identified during the course of the Scheme.
If you are interested in participating in the RSS or need any further information please contact Marie at Avondhu Blackwater Partnership Ltd 025 33411 in complete confidence.